Friday, August 26, 2005

Three Thousand, Six Hundred and Fifty-Odd Days

This is dedicated to all my home fries who live (or used to live) in Rogers Park: the Morse Ave. Is Great! blog (via Gapers Block). "That's way too blue to be safe, mister sky. How'd you get so blue? You stop that right now!"

The El-Dubs have an EP coming out in October, called Ultimatum, whetting our collective appetite for the full-length slated to drop in early '06. I'm glad they're getting some stuff out there, and lord knows John could always use a few extra pennies for new notebooks and #2 pencils and whatnot, but aside from "Everything Is Talking," all of the others songs have been made available (granted, in different versions, yes) elsewhere: "The Commander Thinks Aloud" was featured on last year's Future Soundtrack for America, "Bride and Bridle" is from When I Pretend to Fall, "Delicate Hands" is included on a sampler that comes in the new issue of Spin with Death Cab on the cover, and "Ultimatum" has been posted as an MP3 on the Barsuk web site.

For those of you who are into mash-ups and Kanye West, Stereogum has the goods you crave: Sufjan and Kanye become "Zombies Walk" and the Beach Boys and Kanye become West Sounds. I can't vouch for the quality of either, as I haven't listened to them yet, but thought they looked promising enough to post anyway.

Jonathan Rosenbaum in this week's Chicago Reader on Terry Gilliam's new movie The Brothers Grimm: "With Lena Headey, Monica Bellucci, Peter Stormare, and Jonathan Pryce, the latter two giving some of their broadest turns as comic grotesques." Hummina-huh? If those bitches got any broader than they usually are, they'd have to start showing that shit in IMAX!

I just bought my tickets for tomorrow night's big Gurlesque Burlesque show at the Abbey. Our girl Nora Rocket, who is running tech, tells me Lady Ace is not to be missed. It's gonna be a fab time—Chicagoans with a taste for the bawdy should be sure to check it out.

To all of my wonderful and faithful readers, you'll notice that I've enabled the word verification step in the "post a comment" pop-up window. I've been getting some annoying comment spam in the past few weeks, and Blogger has made this safety function available to prevent it. This makes me a tremendously happy kitty and will help keep the playground clean for everyone. But be careful on the tire swing, for fuck's sake! I don't want to have to drag your ass to the emergency room with a concussion and projectile vomit streaked down your shirt. Heavens.

No comments: