Friday, August 19, 2005

Condolences to the Taize Community

I spoke on the phone last night with a friend of mine who's about to enter the novitiate at St. John's Abbey in Collegeville, Minnesota. After some general catching-up, he told me about the horrible news that Brother Roger, the 90-year-old founder of the Taize Community, had been fatally stabbed during a prayer service in front of a 2,000+ person congregation on Tuesday. I don't think this story has been widely covered in the American media, but, even for those of you who aren't especially religious, it shouldn't be too difficult to grasp the shock and sadness of this news. I'm not terribly familiar with the Taize Community and their style of worship myself, but, based on the little I do know, their unflagging commitment to peace, even after this direct attack against them, is just one of the most radical stances that can be held by any group of people right now. Condolences and admiration.

No comments: