Friday, July 01, 2005

Album A®t

I assume many of you music lovers and Pitchfork readers have been keeping up with the story of how Nike ripped off Minor Threat's iconic album art without permission for a Nike Skateboarding tour poster and then subsequently apologized and pulled the ad. Today brings this link (via Stereogum), with a collection of similarly manipulated classic album covers ranging from the completely unartful to the sublimely hilarious. Stereogum's selection of highlighted favorites is probably the best of the bunch, but I was also tickled by the treatment given The Velvet Underground and Nico, Britney's best-of compilation My Prerogative, Gang of Four's Entertainment!, and OK Computer. Prepare your wrist for a lot of scrolling, and enjoy.

I haven't yet mentioned that I saw Me and You and Everyone We Know earlier this week because I'm still trying to figure out how to talk about it without sounding like a douchebag. My emotional response to the film (heightened by some personal shit that's been weighing on my mind more heavily than usual recently) so far eclipsed my critical faculties during the hour and a half I was in the theater that I'm not sure my experience of the movie is really all that interesting to write (or read) about. All I know is that I went through, emotionally, some of the highest highs and the lowest lows I've felt during a movie in a long time: laughed myself near to hyperventilation during an early scene that revolves around the explanation of the phrase "I want to poop back and forth," then dissolved into body-wracking sobs near the end when a character's private grief is cathartically turned into public art. In my estimation, it is earning its comparisions to David Gordon Green's George Washington (esp. in its gentle, generous use of young, nonprofessional actors), but I'd certainly like to see Chuck and Buck given its due as well (for what it's worth, in the credits of the film, director Miranda July does thank C&B director Miguel Arteta, with whom she's apparently collaborating on a project called Are You the Favorite Person of Anybody?).

The Siskel does Kubrick in July. Sign me the fuck up!

The Big Fish: a fascinating article on the genesis, life, history, and enduring legacy of Suck.com (via Heather Havrilesky's Rabbit Blog).

For those of you who live in or will be visiting Chicago this weekend, please feel free to join me, Benji, and the O'Ds in Grant Park for the annual July 3rd fireworks display. If you just can't get it up for the idea of celebrating America's freedom from British rule with an obscene display of pyrotechnics, you can look at it as a convenient opportunity for self-immolation in the wake of Justice O'Connor's resignation. Hope to see you there regardless.

No comments: