Thursday, July 20, 2006

One, Two. One, Two, Three, Four!

OMG, boner alert: Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman are doing a movie together. And not just any movie, but a bona-fee-day high-class period pitcha for the Beeb, based on CRP go-to foreword-writer Philippa Gregory's novel The Other Boleyn Girl. Natalie will play Anne, and Scarlett will play her sister Mary. Get yr kleenex boxes ready! (I was talking to the historical romance fans who, y'know, get emotional about all the torrid romance and tragedy and such. Ahem.)

Fred Armisen, thank you for taking to task the annoying douchebags who rock out to their music, oblivious to their surroundings, on the bus or train or in other public spaces. "I can't deal with other people making their musical tastes known to everybody else. I don't like people bobbing their heads or getting into stuff at all. It should be private....I don't even tap my feet. I hate that." This has long been a pet peeve of mine in the city. I couldn't agree more.

Can anyone confirm for me that Danger Mouse really is only 28, as this New York Times Magazine profile claims? I can't find a birth year listed on either allmusic or Wikipedia. I guess it really doesn't matter; I just find the realization that he's, like, my age kind of remarkable. Also, I can't stand Chuck Klosterman. That line "There were no throngs of pretty girls, although there were several girls dressed as if they thought they were pretty" is just beyond offensive.

S/FJ's "oily pec-off" turn-of-phrase made me laugh out loud here.

Space + ancient Egypt = GeekOverload.com. Loves it.

"Slap Your Knee and Say Ouch" is sososo funny. Bonus points, too, for some Ben Kweller love. (Stereogum has a new Kwellah MP3, "Penny on the Train Track," from his forthcoming self-titled disk.)

I'm obsessed this week with that new Girl Talk album Night Ripper. Listening to it feels like compressing a cross-country road trip down into 42 frenzied minutes, that feeling of speeding, exhausted but wired on caffeine, down unfamiliar highways, cramped but kind of giddy, switching radio stations as you drift in and out of reception, wondering if driving over the next state line is going to bring oldies, hip-hop, or the best indie rock programming you never would have expected to find just outside Tulsa city limits. Your favorite tracks will largely be determined by how many of the samples you recognize and how much you're amused by their juxtaposition; right now I'm all about "Minute by Minute," which, as the Pitchfork reviewer mentions, samples Neutral Milk Hotel's "Holland, 1945," but also sneaks Sophie B. Hawkins and Steely Dan in there, among many (many, many) others.

No comments: