Monday, February 14, 2005

A Short Blog Post About Love

"He went on and on about his girlfriend. 'I like this girl, I think I love this girl--but I've got two kids and a wife, and there's certain obligations there. And on top of everything else, I love my wife. I'm gifted with love. I love my kids. I love all my relatives.'" --Denis Johnson, Jesus' Son

Here's hoping that, in your own way, you also feel gifted with love today. (Yes, in the book these words are put in the mouth of a drugged-up, philandering traveling salesman, but, in Johnson's world, that's no reason not to honor the purity of the emotion. In fact, it may be an indication to embrace it even more fully.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i was gifted last night by finally watching Adaptation. donald kaufman (one f?) gifted me with this:
you are what you love, not what loves you.
and, even if that's out of the mouth of an obliviously happy pop-screenwriter, no reason to discount its worth. as you say, felus, perhaps that heightens its beauty.
Hal, your'e a love-gift, too.
happy late v-day and almost b-day!
liv