Friday, July 13, 2007

Gimme Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

The new Spoon album is so good it's like it's always been there. I can't imagine it never having existed. I can't imagine myself having existed without it. A stunner. An instant classic. A step away from Gimme Fiction. A step back toward Girls Can Tell perhaps. But also a defiant step forward. I don't want to overstate the case for fear of raising expectations beyond reason, but damn. (Be sure to check out this illuminating interview with Britt Daniel about Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga over at eMusic.)

The new Interpol is also quite good. Stabs at honest-to-God warmth, both in Paul's voice and in the production. I only got through it once before Ga(x5) entered my life, so I don't have much else to say about it at the moment. But it shows promise. My enjoyment of these albums seems to be inversely proportional to everyone else's: I like Turn On the Bright Lights the least of the series and each subsequent release has surprised and excited me more.

Pitchfoooooooooooooork! Hope to see some of you kids out there this weekend.

No comments: