Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I Know How He Feels

From Already Dead by Denis Johnson

"My life is strange," I told him.
"I don't like it when you cry."
"I'm not making it out there, Bill."
"No. Nobody is."
"What do I do now? What do I do?"
This got him going. "Hey! I've taken stock, I've made an assessment, I've done the thing sitting out here counting my fingers and toes and actions. And I got the truth on one side and my lies on the other, the nutty stuff and the stuff that's real, and we've convened, me and the trees and the spirits, and I got it calculated that the only thing I ever did right was buy that oak flooring for the cabin when they tore up the bowling alley in Point Arena. That's it, the oak flooring."
"It's very nice."
"I can't advise, is what I'm saying."
"I understood you."
"I mean everything else is on the failure and insanity side."
"But what a floor! Something to envy."

No comments: